F-Engrave is a text to g-code program that is written in python and is based on the text engraving software (engrave-11) available in the LinuxCNCKnowledgeBase. The name F-Engrave is simply the predecessor programs name "engrave" with an "F" slapped on to indicate that the program can perform more formating functions like justification (left, right and center) and text on a circle. When I first released the program I had no idea I was going to add v-carving or DXF features so the name does not reflect any of those features. F-Engrave is a free open source program released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 3. There is not much left of the original engrave-11 script but I needed a jumping off point. One of the things that remained intact for the most part is the CXF font reading. (although I tweaked it to accept a second variation of the CXF font format.)
- V-carve for outline fonts and images (images and fonts should be composed of closed section loops when v-carving)
- Imports DXF files
- Imports PBM images (with potrace helper program)
- Uses TTF font files (with the help of ttf2cxf_stream, not all formats are supported)
- Capable of exporting Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file
- Opens previously saved G-Code file and retrieve the settings and text
- Supports multiple lines of text with justification (Left, Right and Centered)
- Mirroring text (vertical) and flipping text (horizontal)
- Create text that follows an arc
- Origin selection allows user to select the location of g-code zero position
- Display line thickness to be used during engraving allows visualization of end result
- Use inches or mm as export units
- Customizable G-Code preamble and postamble
- Usable as an LinuxCNC Axis filter program (open the f-engrave.py file from within LinuxCNC Axis File-Open-f-engrave.py. when you are finished with your text select File-Write To Axis and Exit, This option only existed when executed from within Axis)
Changes in Version 1.37
Changes in Version 1.38
Changes in Version 1.39
Changes in Version 1.40
- Added code to increased v-carving speed (based on input from geo01005.
See the VIDEO comparison)
- Windows executable file now generated from Python 2.5 with Psyco support (significant speed increase)
- Changed Default Origin behavior(for DXF/Image files) to be the origin of the DXF file or lower left corner of the input image.
- Added automatic scaling of all linear dimensions values when changing between units (in/mm)
- Fixed bug in clean up function in the v-carve menu. (the bug resulted in excessive Z motions in some cases)
- Fixed bug resulting in the last step of v-carving for any given loop to be skipped/incorrect.
Changes in Version 1.41
- Adjusted global Zero value (previous value resulted in bad tool paths resulting from rounding errors during v-carving for nearly parallel lines)
- Removed use of accuracy (Acc) in the v-carve circle calculation
Changes in Version 1.42
- Changed default setting in General Settings to disable variables. (This is intended to help new Shapoko users get past GRBL limitations.)
Changes in Version 1.43
- Fixed a bug that prevented clean up in some areas after the v-carve clean up calculation.
Changes in Version 1.44
- Fixed really bad bug in v-carve cleanup for bitmap images introduced in V1.43
Changes in Version 1.45
- Added multipass cutting for v-carving
Changes in Version 1.46
- Fixed bug that resulted in multipass cutting all of the time for v-carving
Changes in Version 1.47
- Added ability to read more types of DXF files (files using BLOCKS with the INSERT command)
- Fixed errors when running batch mode for v-carving.
- Added .tap to the drop down list of file extensions in the file save window
For the full history look at the F-Engrave Change Log
Windows Executable Files
Python File Only (.py - text file)
(No True Type Font (TTF) support)
F-Engrave V-Carving Tutorial (PDF Version: F-engrave_tutorial.pdf) (BMP File Used in Tutorial: Polski_Crest.bmp)
F-Engrave V-Carve Algebra/Geometry Details
The videos embedded below contain a lot of the information regarding the F-Engrave input fields and the basic capabilities of F-Engrave.
Video Tutorial (in French) by EquinoxeFR
F-Engrave video manual addendum
using the DXF import feature
F-Engrave video manual addendum
describing the v-carving feature
V0.1 F-Engrave video manual
Using F-Engrave to engrave text on hockey pucks
F-Engrave can generate tool paths for v-carving. I posted algebra behind the geometric calculations here:Algebra/Geometry.
F-Engrave can also generate tool paths for b-carving. What is b-carving? B-carving is analogous to v-carving only the bit used in b-carving is a round nose (ball nose) cutter.