Laser Draw (LaserDRW) is a program that comes with the cheap Chinese laser cutters available on E-Bay and Amazon. The Laser Draw Inkscape Extension is a free open source program released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2.
Changes in Version 0.01
- Initial Release
Changes in Version 0.02
- Added handling for basic SVG shapes (circle, ellipse, rectangles, You no longer need to change shapes to paths)
- Added option to automatically convert text to paths on export.
- Added 60 second timeout to prevent orphan processes
Changes in Version 0.03
- Fixed x,y translation when view box is used in SVG file for scaling
Changes in Version 0.04
- Changed limits in resolution to 100 dpi minimum and 1000 dpi maximum (if you get an out of memory error in LaserDRW try reducing the resolution)
Changes in Version 0.05
- Removed some messages that were not needed
- Fixed default resolution in inx files
|Extension Source files (zip file)|
To install this Inkscape extension:
1. Download and unpack the zip file.
2. Copy the individual files into the directory listed in Inkscape at "Edit" - "Preferences" - "System": "User extensions". You might need to resize the window that pops up to see all of the fields and entries.
(It will also work if you put the files in "C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\extensions" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\share\extensions" depending on which version you have installed.
The location above is the location referenced on the Inkscape page for user installed extensions.)
3. After a restart of Inkscape, the new extension will be available.
How to use the Extension:
1. Create your own design in Inkscape.
- Use RED lines to indicate cutting.
- Use BLUE lines to indicate vector engraving.
- Use BLACK to indicate raster engraving (this can be shapes, paths or images)
2. Adjust the size of the document to match the area you want to export (You can use "File" - "Document Properties" - "Resize Page to Content" to make the page the same size as your design)
3. Within Inkscape select "Save As"
4. Select one of the two "Laser Draw LYZ" options
- The (*.lyz) selection will allow you to save the red,blue and black features to individual files for use with Laser Draw
- The (*.zip) selection will automatically generate all of the files needed for engraving and cutting and save them to a zip file
|Lake Map Coaster||Trinket Box|
The lake shape was derived from images from the Minnesota DNR Lake finder.
The box design is from the Epilog Laser website.
The decorations on the box is from www.craftsmanspace.com
Geometric Tracery Pattern