I built a spring loaded platform for my K40 laser. The purpose of the platform is to allow for the use of different thicknesses of material while maintaining the correct distance to the surface of the material so the laser is always focused at the material surface. I achieve this by having springs push the platform up to a hard stop formed by a piece of angle aluminum. When an item is placed on the platform a small portion of the material is pushed under the hard stop surface. Then the springs push the material up until the top surface of the material is positioned at the laser focus height by the hard stop.
I don’t have detailed plans but I tried to give enough information in the video for someone to replicate the design if desired. Below is a list of the materials I used and the tools needed to perform the build.
If you have questions I can be contacted by e-mail at the address in the image at the bottom of the Scorch Works Home Page.
- Aluminum flat bar, 1 inch x 1/8 inch x 36 inch long (Home Depot has 48 inch lengths)
- Angle aluminum, 1 inch x 1/8 inch x 36 inch long (Home Depot has 48 inch lengths)
- Angle aluminum, 3/4 inch x 1/8 inch x 36 inch long (Home Depot has 48 inch lengths)
- (Qty 4) Spring, 3/8 in diameter,1-7/8 inch long, 0.025 wire diameter (From local hardware store)
- (Qty 8) Machine screw, 10-24 x 2-1/2 inch long
- (Qty 8) Machine screw, 6-32 x 3/4 inch long (for holding brackets to rails and 3D printed parts to the top brackets)
- Drinking straw to cover the threads on four of the 10-24 screws (optional, but nice to have)
- (Qty 4) 3D printed standoffs to set the height of the angle aluminum hard stops (these could be replaced by small diameter pipe or tube cut to length or a small piece of wood with holes drilled)
- (Qty 4) 3D printed spacers to extend the travel of the springs (these could be replaced by small diameter pipe or tube cut to length or a small piece of wood with holes drilled)
- Expanded metal sheet, 1/2 inch x 12 inch x 24 inch (Home Depot)
- Screw driver
- Hand Drill
- Set of Drill bits
- Hacksaw (or metal cutting band saw)
- 10-24 Tap
- 6-32 Tap